Welcome back, this is Lesson 1.2 How to Install WordPress on Windows 10 ~ Building a Website from Scratch. When you complete this tutorial, you will have the fundamental knowledge of how to set up a local hosting environment using WAMP, WordPress, and Windows 10. Are you ready to get started?
Before we start, let me make sure you understand that I am here to help you. That means that if at any time you are not sure what to do, you are to stop what you are doing and ask questions or for help. I’m sorry if this comes out blunt. Getting frustrated while creating a website from scratch can happen. I’m here to help make your learning activity more fun. Let’s get started.
Start With Downloading WAMP
- First, open a browser and head over to WAMP website by clicking here. You will need to download WAMP, but at this moment I only want you to download and save it to the computer.
- When you get to WAMP website, click the download tab located near the top of the page, or scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the latest stable version of WAMP that will work on the computer system. Your choices are 64 bits or 32 bits. Make sure you click on the one for the PC.
- Once you have chosen the server that will work on the computer, wait for the file to finish downloading then close that page. DO NOT INSTALL WAMP Yet. Just leave it in the file where you saved it at on the computer.
What is WAMP?
WAMP, an acronym for Windows, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. It’s a package of open source applications used to create a local hosting environment on the computer. I will create a tutorial explaining what all that means, but for now, you have somewhat of an idea what it’s going to be used for. Let’s move on to the next step.
Next Download WordPress
Now, got to WordPress website and download the latest stable WordPress version. You will see the download button at the top right. I placed an image down below showing you what it looks like. Just click download the latest stable version and save the .zip file to the computer. Now just leave it there, well come back to it later on.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a powerful content management system that’s also an open source application, that you can use to create websites, blog, and apps. We’re handing coding our website by creating a customized theme that we will later convert into a WordPress theme. Once again, I will create a tutorial explaining WordPress in detail. Let’s move on to the next step.
Now How to Install WAMP on Windows 10 ~Setup
- Locate the WAMP file you downloaded earlier on the computer.
- Click to start the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instruction leaving all the settings at their default setting. In other words, keep clicking next until you get to installation now button then click install.
- Once WAMP installation has completed installing on the computer, make sure that the Launch WAMP Server check box is checked.
- Now click Finish.
Next, Build Your Database
- Locate the WAMP Server Icon in the windows task bar. It should be green. If it is not green, contact me and together we will fix it.
- OK, now Left click on the icon and a window model will pop up.
- Find phpMyAdmin and click on it.
- Inside of phpMyAdmin click on the databases tab located in the top navigation menu.
- Enter a database name under create database field. You can enter any name you want. For example, MySite or MyTestSite, you can use any name you want just remember what it is. OK, now click create.
- Now close the browser.
Now How to Install WordPress on Windows 10 ~ Setup
- Locate and extract the WordPress file you downloaded earlier.
- Copy the WordPress folder. To copy the folder, hover the mouse pointer over the folder and right click on it. Now click on copy.
- On the computer go to the (C:) drive and click it to open it.
- Find the WAMP folder and double click to open it.
- Look for the WWW folder and right click and paste the WordPress folder inside of it. Make sure you are pasting WordPress in the WWW folder.
- You can change the name of the WordPress folder to what ever you want. Example MySite anything you like, just remember what you call it.
Next Set up Your Localhost Environment
- Open a browser and type http://localhost/YourWebsiteName Use the name you decided on in step 6 then click enter.
- You are going to get a message stating that you are missing a wp-configuration file. Not to worry. Click on create a configuration file button.
- When the page comes up, click on Let’s Go.
- Fill in the form starting with the Database name you decided on when you created the database in phpMyAdmin.
- Leave the Username as root. If the word root is not in the Username field, type it in yourself.
- Password leave at none or set it to root.
- Database host you can leave it at localhost.
- Table Prefix we can leave it alone as well.
- Now click submit and wait for the next step.
- You should now get a message saying All Right Sparky!. (it means you are on the right track) Your database is set up correctly. All You have to do is finish the rest of WordPress installation.
Now How to Install WordPress on Windows 10 ~ Account
- Click on the run install button to start the WordPress installation.
- Fill out the installation form, starting with the website title. You can choose what ever title you like. Your site title name can be changed so quickly decide on a name and move onto the next step.
- Chose the Username. DO NO USE, ADMIN. For the protection do not use admin as the user name. I will be creating a post explaining why. Now, choose a user name and move on to the next step.
- Chose a very strong password. WordPress encourages you to choose a very strong password and will have you verify that you wish to continue with using a weak password.
- Provide WordPress a valid email address.
- Click on install.
- Take a bow. You have succeeded in stalling WordPress.
How to Install WordPress on Windows 10: Lesson 1.2 Conclusion
This will conclude lesson 1.2 of How to Install WordPress On Windows 10. When we come back, we’re going to jump right into lesson 1.3 Notepad Plus Plus ~ Sublime Text Editor ~ What’s Atom? We’re be learning about how to setup an IDE and using source code editors. Are you ready to start writing in code? Good, because first, we will learn the fundamentals of a text editor while learning how to build a website from scratch.
Start Lesson 1.3 Notepad++ ~ Sublime Text Editor ~ What’s Atom?
That’s all for now. If you like How to Install WordPress on Windows 10, kindly hit the like button and share it with anyone you can think of that will benefit from it. If you have any questions, opinion, comments, or feedback, please leave them in the comment section down below. Thank you and God bless you.
My true feeling about creating a website by hand coding it; It’s like a Thanksgiving meal. Not just any kind of turkey day dinner. More like the kind grand mom’s cook; Make it from scratch she used to tell us. You’ll put more love into a home-cooked meal she would say. I guess I’m kind of old spirited and like creating things the old fashion way. Build them to last a life time. ~ LeNard’s View ~